b fran...

"and the Lord said unto cain, where is abel thy brother? and he said, i know not: am i my brother's keeper?" Genesis 4:9 and though our circumstances may not be as dire as that of cain and abel…at some point in our lives we will all be asked, by someone or ourselves, am i my brother’s keeper? and just like cain we have a choice to live an answer that says no or to live a life that says yes. for me my choice was obvious… cause i am my brother’s keeper…

My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

my life has been a daily reflection of the scriptures of manhood chiseled in my soul by my father’s hands and my mother’s love…poetic but true. see i’ve been blessed with example after example of selfless giving and responsibility to others (friend and stranger alike). and it is this legacy that has inspired this collection of poems that pays homage to the hoods- motherhood, womanhood, manhood, and brotherhood. and hopefully somewhere in my words you will discover what i have come to know- that the one thing that can change the world one person at a time- is respect- for women, for each other and for self. i believe this and i live this…cause i am my brother’s keeper…

Sunday, October 21, 2007

poetic caffeine- Java Monkey Speaks

Wow. I just got in from the Java Monkey Speak Open mic. It is hosted by a cool old cat by the name of Kodac Harrison. I hung out with Theresa and the crew from Art Amok. It was probably the most diverse venue I have been to- gender, sexual orientation, education, race, age and poetic style...but all connected by the love of poetry. I was inspired...about twenty poets read. The pieces ranged from incest, to Prince having the answer to the world's problems. I ran into some old friends and made some new ones- Cocktails, Stefen, Jewel, Rochelle, FUN, Icon, Koffee, Brain Patillo, the two young sisters from Clark...that said they loved my work (for some reason I was feeling 2 brothers- I was nervous as hell). I got about six ideas for poems that I will explore tomorrow. I am fading a little...I'm going to crash...but I will continue with this tomorrow...by the way- Neo Soul...there is no place like home...

2 Comments:

Blogger Shelle said...

can't wait to hear the new pieces!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Copasetic Soul said...

damn...im 'jelly' you got the chance to go down there. i have nothing but LOVE for the ART AMOK CREW..dats my Southern Fried Slam family right there!

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home